Sunday, May 29, 2005

41 Blogging Questions

41 Blogging Questions, you ask? Well, why not? Here are some nagging questions related to blogging that are at the top of my mind. Hopefully some of you, would provide me with answers / pointers. Don't worry, I am a grateful person, and will mention your name and the solution here. Remember I am using Blogger and Blogspot and that this post is a work-in-progress. So here goes:

How do I -
  • know more about the various Blogger tags? These tags are still not very clear to me. However, the article Blogger Template Tags does clarify some of my doubts.
  • upload images directly through a native Blogger interface instead of through indirect methods?
  • upload .zip files? Later, I want my readers to be able to download these files. I realised that Geocities can hold 20MB of my files and that's where I will upload my files.
  • edit my list of Links in Blogger, the easy way?
  • search other blogs on Blogger?
  • merge Adsense with my blog background from the UI perspective?
  • Categorise my posts? Two blogs that I frequently read - A Consuming Experience and Quick Online Tips mention that Blogger does not support Categories. Just my luck.
  • add Adsense between my latest and second-latest post? Studied Blogger tags and figured out where to place my Adsense ads. It works! Akshay of Trivial Matters uses Adsense in his latest post and I wanted in-between posts. Anyway, thanks Akshay.
  • add Adsense to my feed on Bloglines? I found the answer to this, while searching on Google Adsense for Feeds. Just my luck, I can qualify for participation provided I have more than 100 active subscribers to my feed!
  • edit my Blogger template to remove the errors flagged by W3C Markup Validation Service? I am no html expert, but I know that this would help cross-browser compatibility and that the web page would load quicker.
  • change the size of my header block box? I am not a html expert. It's something in the #header css
  • receive email notification of replies to my comments posted on other Blogger blogs, without paying for an upgrade to ProBlogger service? This has been suggested by Vaspers the Grate and I agree.

Technorati Tags:
Blogs linking to this article

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pretty difficult to add ads beteween post. What I do is use add
google adsense links. This is a new feature offered by adsense.
All you need to do is log on to your adsense account and go to your ad setting and ask it to create a 'link unit'.
This bit of html then should be added to you blogger template at the appropriate location.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I already have the html for the 'Linked Unit'. However, I need to figure out the Blogger tags so that I can put the Linked Unit between two posts. Thanks anyway.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The links ads as you may have found only are displayed on your most current post and the permalink.

10:21 AM  
Blogger steven edward streight said...

Concerning the editing of your template according to its non-compliance with W3C standards:

I asked this on a web developer discussion email list (Evolt or WDVL Talk, not sure which now)...

...and I was told: "Don't worry about it. As long as your blog renders correctly in your browser and your vistors' browsers."

I had pages and pages of so-called "errors" in validation.

I didn't even know how to go about correcting them all. Print out the validation errors, all 200 pages or whatever?

Then, as I inspected the "errors" I noticed that things in posts like an ampersand (the & symbol for "and") was considered an "error".

I'm a writer and a usability analyst. Not a programmer. So this is all I can say right now about validation.

I think you should re-organize your right column side bar.

Put your photo and profile, Archives (previous posts) and contact info upfront, up at top, for credibility enhancement.

Your blog is looking a bit untidy, confused, but I am very pleased to see that you are doing what I started doing a while ago...

...adding cool widgets and side bar text and enhancements.

Maybe: doing too many things too fast?

Careful with "add-ons" which can cause ad pop-ups to attach to your browser. Don't think you have any of these addons right now, but just a cautionary note to you.

Re-think the design, the visual look, especially the side bar.

I'll have some questions for you soon, my friend, and hope you will be able to help me.

Steven Streight
of Vaspers the Grate
and Blog Core Values
and Radical Corporate Art blogs.

2:41 PM  
Blogger steven edward streight said...

P.S. Focus is vital. Be very very careful about posting any family, employer, religious, or private personal details. Now in USA we have to worry about political blogging, see my recent post.

Your tagline/description needs to improve.

Something like "Tips on Blog Enhancement, Programming, and Living a Triumphant Life".

This is just a goofy guess as to what you might say.

"A blog about everything and anything" is very common, too vague, and not good for visitor orientation, search engine optimization, or directory listings.

Find a specific purpose for your blog.

You can always have one blog for technical stuff, and another blog for personal journaling. don't mix them.

Some will disagree with me, but think about SEO and your ads and other practical considerations.

happy to help a friend in an interesting country...with the best music and food on earth! INDIA.

2:47 PM  
Blogger steven edward streight said...

I wish I could add a "Receive email notification of replies to your comment" function to my comments posting on Blogger.

Without paying for an upgrade to ProBlogger service.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steven, thanks for some great tips. I will be incorporating some soon and some I will ponder upon.

8:10 AM  
Blogger steven edward streight said...

WAY TO GO...!!!

Much much much better dear comrade and ally.

But...put that photo of you back on your blog. I loved your photo, so cool, so intelligent and kindly looking, so nice to see who you are.

I have yet to shop around for a digital camera, but when I do buy one, I will be uploading lots of photos, not my children or anything private, just photos of books in my bookshelf, CDs I like, of my computer with all its notes attached like little flags (reminders of URLs of my many projects, etc.).

Appliblog? Not bad. Pretty good, especially since it's hard to think of a name for anything.

Good blog title and tagline, though you might fine tune a tiny bit more to say what makes you unique.

If someone was talking about Talish Satim and his special qualities, what would that fan say?

A fan of Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate might say: "explosive presentations of critical information, mixed with weird humor, pretentious Derrida references, and a pseudo mystical confusion. Highly inner-taining."

Boy, I need to go outside. I'm sounding daffy.

LOL

:^)

Why do you have the Firefox button under category "feeds"? It's not a feed, its a link to a browser to download for free.

Everyone should use Firefox. Much fastness to it, and supposedly much more secure.

It is faster for sure. I surf the web at higher speeds due to Firefox.

I may do a podcast tomorrow...and I'm clueless about how to prepare for the phone interview, 49 Media is doing the podcast, a blog directory service for media blogs (blogs with audio, art, photos, video, etc. only).

Glad I could help.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Once again Steven, thanks for your great feedback.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home